Small changes in your habit, diet and general lifestyle can go a long way to improving heart health. Here are Twelve Steps to a Healthy Heart
- Live smoke-free. If you smoke, quit.
- Monitor your blood pressure. Keep your numbers below 120/80 mmHg.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Target a Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 25.
- Watch your cholesterol. Strive for a total cholesterol of less than 200 mg/dL.
- Control your blood sugar. Aim for a fasting blood glucose of less than 100 mg/dL.
- Minimize your alcohol consumption. Reduce it at every chance.
- Get adequate sleep daily. 6 – 8 hours will do you good.
- Manage your stress levels better and pay attention to your mental health.
- Get active. Log 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity – like brisk walking (or 75 minutes of vigorous activity).
- Eat a heart-healthy diet. Make vegetables and fruits, whole grains and fish mealtime staples. Limit sodium, saturated fat and added sugar.
- Have sex regularly. Safe sex.
- Find out more about your heart health by scheduling a consultation with your Doctor.